Sunday 19 August 2007

Awful News

I've just heard that my Uncle Maurice has died. My brother Chris sent a text and I rang him back. I knew that he was in hospital, but didn't think things were that serious. He's been under the doctor and had difficulty breathing for a number of years.

Maurice was the greatest storyteller I've ever known. He had so many tales and kept us amused for hours when we were kids. I'll take "The Holesaler" and "The Oggle-Goggle Maker" (How the Sea became Salty) with me all my life.

I remember when I was a teenager and once "helped" Maurice on his building site. Another time I stayed for the weekend and he took me to see "Blazing Saddles", explaining how one might swear on the building site, but not in the home. I'll miss him and the world seems a rather greyer place.

I've asked Chris to text me again once any arrangements are known. I bought a flexible air ticket, but that was in case of travelling difficulties, not something like this.

3 comments:

Sue Morgan said...

Hi so sorry about uncle Maurice. How would he have advised you to react to the news? Find some people to tell his stories to and raise a glass to him for me too x

liverpool all da way said...

sorry mate another storyteller like me joins the non smokers please advise of revised travel plans regards phil

liverpool all da way said...

caught up with blog technical for me read it backwards as you would expect but hope you enjoyed replies forget you are the honourablr and just enjoy if you get arrested dont worry just tell them you know me and it will be sorted look forward to the next update take care my friend regards phil