Saturday 5 May 2012

Heading Home

Dave's Tale: An Abrupt End

Clare's had an upset tummy since around the time we left China. The symptoms have been intermittent, but haven't really cleared up despite trying various approaches.

This was really reducing Clare's enjoyment, especially of the bits we normally like best, such as chilling in cafés or bars and the whole culinary side of travel.

The key question was whether Clare would rather have a day in Japan in her current condition (now), or a day well in the UK (after she recovers). After some consideration, Clare preferred the latter.

We e-mailled ever-helpful Lucy at FlightCentre, who found out our options (changed dates for our Etihad flights via Abu Dhabi or new direct flights with BA). On the offchance, I checked on the BA website whether my Avios points were any help (they never have been before). Amazingly, reward flights were available - I guess nobody wants to travel from Japan to the UK on our bank holiday at the end of their Golden Week.

Initially we just booked for Clare to come home and see her doctor, while I gave Tokyo a better chance to impress and stuck with the flights we'd already paid for, a few days later. That was fine while Clare had a persistent but apparently not serious condition and was fed up rather than upset.

However, on Saturday 5th she woke feeling nauseous. She made it through the train journey from Hiroshima to Kobe, and felt just as bad at the end. As soon as I could get on the Internet I booked myself on the same flight.

My sister-in-law's sister lives in Japan with her family. Through the trip we'd been e-mailing about meeting up, and today was the day. Clare didn't feel up to it, but was keen that I go, so I took the necessary trains and about an hour later Maire met me at the station.

I had a tremendously enjoyable afternoon and evening with them, even though I'd meant to leave before the evening got a grip. It was lovely to be with a Japanese family, within a Japanese home, but with Irish-born Maire who could answer all my questions. Heated loo seats are, apparently, quite a consolation when it's winter in houses mainly built for sweltering forty-degree summers, and mornings are below zero!

I jumped on their wi-fi and walked Clare round the place and assembled faces over a video Skype session from her sick-bed.

I drank a lot of Kirin, sake and Italian red wine. I ate a variety of things including a squid biltong/jerky, netto (beans and fermented curd), plus the more mainstream sushi, barbequeued beef and toasted rice balls. Not to forget brie and camembert with Ritz biscuits :-)

I ended full and pleasantly tiddly. I really enjoyed making the acquaintance of (sister-in-law's niece/nephew) Shona and Aaron, and finding out a little bit about how they saw the world.

I got back to Clare far, far later than originally intended, but Clare was glad I'd had a nice day.

Tomorrow will be all about getting to the hotel near Tokyo Narita airport, and the following day about getting on the plane. Even though it's at a 12 hour 15 minute flight, we only land 4 and a quarter hours after we take off (due to the magic of time zones) and so will get to enjoy bank holiday Monday evening at home.

Clare's Tale: Tummy Troubles

The upset stomach which has plagued me on and off since leaving China and arriving in Japan, finally got the better of me and we booked an earlier flight home just for me on
Monday 7/5, a direct BA flight into Heathrow. Flight time 12 hours compared to around 23 with Etihad, which on our return journey included a 4 hour stop over at Abu Dhabi.

I have not really had a whole day eating normally for well over two weeks; food and drink are, of course, a major part of a holiday and I have found it frustrating and upsetting that I have not been able to enjoy this part of the trip or eat anything without it upsetting me; it's also not nice being ill away from home in a country where you don't know the language. Thank goodness Japan's public toilets are plentiful and clean - hurrah!

Today 5/5 I woke up at 3.30am again with an upset tummy - I only had a salad last night, thinking this was playing it safe, but hey ho here we go again. Think its best not to eat at all or stick to dry biscuits or bread which is all I seem to be able to tolerate.

We were to travel to Kobe today and also visit Dave's sister-in-law's sister and family who live not far away. However, I felt so rough during the train journey to Kobe that we came direct to our hotel, where I stayed and Dave went to meet up with them. I was very disappointed not to go, would have been nice to meet them and see a real Japanese home, but as I think there were a few trains to get to where they live, I felt it was better for Dave to go and enjoy himself and me to stay in hotel nursing my dicky tum.

We did, however, do a video link on our iPhones, so I got to 'meet' Dave's sister-in-law's family and it looked as though Dave was having a good time.

Dave has now also booked on the flight with me to come home. He was looking forward to spending the last couple of days in Tokyo, coming back when we were originally scheduled to, so I am disappointed for him, but have to say I am secretly pleased not to be travelling alone.
Dave is so one in million and I love him to bits.

Rob is picking us up from the airport on Monday afternoon and first job on Tuesday will be to get a doctor's appointment.

No comments: