Wednesday 10 November 2010

Phnom Penh

In Phnom Penh I was supposed to be joining an organised tour on Tuesday night, but landed on Monday night. Hence I had a day to do the things that weren't on Tuesday's itinerary.

After some soul-searching, I decided that I WOULD visit the Khymer Rouge "killing field" at Cheoung Ek, 15 km outside the city. I could describe it, but there are descriptions elsewhere. I haven't been to Auschwitz, but it must be very similar.

On Tuesday, the group visited the genocide museum - a former school that was turned into a prison, interrogation and torture centre. Of the nearly 20,000 people taken there, only 8 are known to have survived.

I think there are some terrible truths that one has to face as part of humanity, and trying to prevent the same happening again.

Lighter matters:

Phnom Penh has many aspects similar to Bangkok, but overall it seems far less prosperous, mostly less modern and grubbier - like an overgrown town compared to "world city" Bangkok.

For the remainder of Monday, I visited the Russian Market - a low, flat building with rows and rows of separately-owned stalls selling a huge range of things. I didn't buy any hand tools, car spares or electrical components. I did stop at one T-shirt stall where the owner accosted me in English and bought a few of my favourite type of souvenir.

I booked a massage and meant to go for a walk down the riverside after, but got so relaxed that I just chilled out until the tour group met for the first time over the evening meal, driven to and from a restaurant by Tuk-Tuk. There are 10 of us plus the guide, and all seem to be friendly and pleasant people

Tuesday began with a cyclo ride round the town, ending at the Royal Palace. The local guide gave us a potted history of Cambodia, concentrating on recent kings and French colonial rule. Then we walked around for what felt like ages and boarded a coach to the National Museum where another guide gave us yet more information than I need with my current level of freshness.

When the organised tour ends, 7 of us decide to hire a river boat. This proves a good decision, as we have a lovely time chatting together and see a floating fishing village and many shacks with backs propped over a steep river bank on long poles. It's amazing how differently some people live.

No comments: