Saturday 9 August 2008

Nothing's Ever Simple

I spent yesterday evening with my cousin Stuart. He's travelled in South America twice, mainly by bicycle and bus, and from Turkey, through Iran, Pakistan and India to Nepal.

He gave me lots of good tips, including pointing out that Algeria might present problems. It turns out that, despite calls related to Mediterranean Union unity, the Morocco/Algeria land border has been closed since 1994 and looks set to remain closed.

That probably explains why Ewan and Charley went via Italy, Sicily and Tunisia.

He also told me that:
a) the tourist season in Chile is mainly November to April, outside of which one may have to user roads in Argentina rather than Chile and if you get stuck you'll have to wait longer for help (which screws up my planned trip timing).
b) Having visited India several times, most of the stuff I'm likely to want to see is up in the North, so I may have the opportunity to shorten my route.

Based on these, I've updated my planned route map yet again.

No comments: